Boys Varsity Football · Warrior Football Falls To Hilliard Davidson Wildcats In Playoff Matchup

November 2nd, 2018 – The Wayne Warrior football season is over after losing to the Hilliard Davidson Wildcats in the opening round of the D-1 Region 3 playoffs by a final score 28-21. Played at Hilliard Davidson High School, the Warriors came into the game as the 8 seed and the Wildcats the 1 seed.


Wayne was first on the board after a nine yard Devin Nelson touchdown run half way through the first quarter. Wayne’s momentum ended there as Hilliard Davidson scored 28 unanswered points from the end of the first quarter through the end of the third quarter.


The Warriors scored twice in the fourth quarter, but the Wildcats were able to hang on despite the second half surge.


Wayne head coach Jay Minton had nothing but praise for the team regardless of the final score. After the game he said, “I’m extremely proud of the way our players fought hard all year long. These seniors have left a really good legacy!”


Rashad McKee passed for 287 yards, two passing touchdowns, one interception, and rushed for 77 yards. Devin Nelson rushed for 118 yards, had 40 receiving yards, and scored once on the ground and once through the air.


Wayne’s receiving corps had a productive game too. Steven Victoria had 75 receiving yards, Cameron Fancher totaled 49 receiving yards, and Trevor Bom accounted for 39 yards through the air.


Justin Harris did a little bit of everything this game. Harris had 68 receiving yards, one receiving touchdown, and led the team with 12 tackles. Alijah Fleming, Matteo Rivas, and Otis Allen each had six tackles.


The loss puts Wayne’s final record at 7-4. The Warriors have a lot to hang their hats on from this season with highlights including their four game winning streak.


Coach Minton still thinks highly of this team as the season comes to a conclusion. He said, “There is no other locker room in the state of Ohio that I would rather be in than with this group of young men. Warriors forever!”